A $6.45 million referendum comes up for vote in a short time (June 6.) Please read this, and if you agree, pass it along to your friends (that live east of the "I" in Racine County).
The Racine Taxpayers Association has joined CARE on opposition to the referendum.
A very disappointing Racine school system is one of the biggest causes of our high unemployment and growing crime rate. Our childrens' statewide achievement scores and graduation rates continue to be far behind state averages. The school district repeatedly demonstrates a lack of accountability and poor stewardship of taxpayer dollars.
You can make a difference!
CARE (Coalition to Actively Reform Education) is a non-partisan group formed solely to improve the education of children in the Racine Unified School District. CARE believes that all children can learn - and that we should not accept any excuses. CARE advocates open governance and accountability for improving education by setting goals and taking responsibility for achieving measurable objectives. The school district has repeatedly refused to take responsibility yet continues to come to the community for more money.
The district cannot afford to continue its overly generous health plan - it is irresponsible to take money out of our kids education to pay for it
• Employees of the School District get the best full family health insurance for only $30/month
• Racine taxpayers pay over $24,000 per family per year for their health insurance - is your coverage that good and that inexpensive?
• More than 85% of this referendum is going to pay for the INCREASE in 2006 insurance costs - not for education
• While the school district threatens cutbacks the district's surplus of over $7 million makes this referendum unnecessary
Did you know that .....
• In January 2006, the School District put us in debt with a $2.2 million bond - without a public vote
• This Spring, the School District made an "accounting" change allowing them to raise taxes $1 million - without a public vote
• The School District has increased its budget by over 43% in only 6 years without any increase in students or improvement in achievement scores or graduation rates
The School District wants your money but won't be accountable and won't be a proper steward of taxpayer dollars. Student achievement scores and graduation rates remain well below state averages yet we are asked to keep giving the district's management more money.
Don't give them more money without making them accountable for the $256 million they already have - I urge you to vote NO on the 6/6 referendum and to ask your friends to do the same. With a likely 8% turnout, every vote truly makes a difference.
Please join CARE with me (no cost) - the more members we have the more influence we can have in getting things back on the right track You can join by clicking on this link: Join CARE.
You can also help us hold the school district accountable by sending CARE a financial contribution. Checks can be made out to CARE and sent c/o Eric Marcus at 1520 College Avenue, Racine, WI 53403.
We also need volunteers to make neighborhood literature drops on doors and mailboxes and to take absentee ballot applications to seniors and others who have difficulties getting to the polls.
And very importantly, please send this email to as many friends as you can - the people who just want "business as usual" have lots of money and will use it - we can change this school district with an old-fashioned grassroots campaign!"
Please let me know that we can count on your support and how you would like to make a difference!